“The Future of Scholarly Communication in a ChatGPT World”
April 4-5, 2023
$75 Individual, $225 Group Rate
Depending on the headlines on a given day, AI may seem like an overnight sensation decades in the making, a technology in search of a business model, the next step to the end of civilization as we know it. With so many different perspectives, it can be challenging to identify how AI will continue to affect scholarly communications. Will policy pronouncements make a dent in its use? Will it be just another tool used by students and researchers alike to streamline their process? Will we find ourselves in an “arms race” of AI and AI-detection as we try to figure out where we are going and where we want to go? Join us for a check in on this timely topic.
Sessions will be recorded and made available to registered attendees within 48 hours.
Moderated and Organized by: Heather Staines, Senior Consultant and Director of Community Engagement at Delta Think, and Gary Price, Editor of LJ’s InfoDOCKET and ARL Day in Review.
Keynote Speaker: Peter Brantley, Director, Online Strategy, UC Davis
Aiding and Abetting: The Machines We’re Making
- Stakeholder Perspectives Roundtable
- Moderated by Heather Staines, Senior Consultant and Director of Community Engagement at Delta Think
- Raymond Pun, Academic and Research Librarian, Alder Graduate School of Education
- Kyle Jensen, Researcher/Instructor at Arizona State University
- Theresa Fucito, Director of Content Operations, AIPP
- Kyle K. Courtney, Copyright Advisor, Harvard University
- Danielle Cooper, Director, Libraries, Scholarly Communication, and Museums, Ithaka S+R
- AI Tools to Watch: Lightning Round Presentations followed by moderated discussion.
- Moderated by Gary Price, Editor of LJ’s InfoDOCKET and ARL Day in Review.
- Confirmed participation from scite, Scholarcy, Prophy, Writefull, Laser.ai, CORE, DataSeer, Consensus, Iris.ai, and Hum.
(All times listed are Eastern.)
Day 1: Tuesday, April 4
- 10:00-10:15 am Welcome from Leah Hinds, Executive Director, Charleston Hub
- 10:15-10:45am Keynote Presentation from Peter Brantley, Director of Online Strategy, UC Davis
- 10:45-11:00 Q&A
- 11:00-11:45 am Stakeholder Perspectives Roundtable Discussion
- 11:45-12:00 pm Q&A
- 12:00-1:00 pm Lunch break
- 1:00-2:00 pm AI Tools to Watch Presentations
- 2:00-2:30 pm Moderated discussion
- 2:30-3:00 pm Breakout rooms
- 3:00-3:15 pm Report back and close
Day 2: Wednesday, April 5