The 2021 Charleston Conference will be a hybrid event, with options for attendance in person in Charleston as well as online through our robust and interactive virtual event platform.
Conference registration includes: 5 days of conference sessions, events, and networking opportunities, as well as access to video-on-demand recordings within 48 hours and for one year after. Also includes a one-year complimentary subscription to Against the Grain, the premier journal linking publishers, vendors, and librarians.
In-Person Registration: Includes in-person attendance in Charleston as well as full access to our virtual conference platform.
- $475 Early Bird (
through September 10Extended to October 8)
- $600 Late (October 9 – October 23, online registration will close on Oct 23 for in person attendance.)
Virtual Registration: Includes online access to our virtual conference platform.
- $325 Individual Rate – No registration deadlines apply, open through the week of the conference.
- $615 Group Rate – Available for up to 5 participants from the same library/institution/company simultaneously. Up to 5 participants may watch any conference session available in the platform individually, or you may have a group watch party for any number of people in a conference/meeting room. We will need to collect names and email addresses for all participants at the time of registration. If your institution/company needs more than 5 individual access points, additional group registrations can be purchased under another name/email address. No registration deadlines apply.
However you participate in the conference, whether at home, in your office, or together while socially distanced in a classroom or meeting room, we’d love to see your photos! Share your photos with [email protected]
Reduced registration rates are available for those who are willing to volunteer to help in a variety of ways, for both in-person and virtual attendees. We need help with moderating sessions both virtually and in person, serving as a liaison for presenters, helping to monitor the Q&A/chat online, and more. Training will be provided by our staff.
Apply now to become a volunteer. Please don’t register for the conference until after we’ve reviewed your volunteer application. If approved, you will receive a discount code to receive the reduced registration rate. Deadline to apply as a volunteer is September 17.
Attendees will need to provide proof of full vaccination OR a negative COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours upon check in at the registration desk. Face masks are required while indoors for all in-person conference sessions and events regardless of vaccine status. In addition, there will be plexiglass protective desk shields at registration desk check-in and information desk areas, and refreshments will be served by catering staff with masks and gloves. Hand sanitizer stations will be provided throughout the facilities, and rigorous cleaning and sanitizing procedures will be followed by venue staff. These recommendations are subject to change as we receive new guidance from our event venues, local mandates, and CDC guidelines. See our FAQ page for details.
Scholarships – Reduced or waived registration fees are available by application through the generous support of our sponsors. More Details
If you register for the Charleston Conference but are unable to attend, you have three options for cancellation:
1) Refund: Refunds may be requested for conference registration through October 9. $125 processing fee applies for all registration refunds, and a $35 processing fee on all preconference refunds (applies to preconference-only cancellation, not added if entire conference registration is cancelled). NO REFUNDS AFTER OCTOBER 9. Exceptions will be considered on a case by case basis; please contact Sharna Williams at [email protected]
2) Transfer: You may transfer your registration to someone else at your institution/company. There is no fee to do so.
3) Credit: You may receive a full credit to attend the conference for the next calendar year. This credit is non-transferable and may not be extended past one calendar year. (Preconference registrations are not transferable to the next year since session offerings are unique and change from year to year.) Registration credits hold no monetary value.
Please send all disability accommodation requests to Sharna Williams by September 15.
Some feedback from our attendees:
“The most important conference I attend. Vendors, publishers, and librarians side-by-side at the podium and in the audience. There is nothing else like it.”
“Charleston stands out time and again as providing an equal forum for discussion and collaboration across the industry. I always come away bubbling with ideas and insights!”
“Charleston is unique – it’s hard to describe to people who haven’t attended. I think it is where the “big ideas” get discussed. By the same token, there are sessions with lots of practical advice, as well.”
“A very focused conference with many practical sessions. Well-organized.”
“This is a great conference and I recommend it to many. I love the cross-fertilization of publishers and librarians speaking to each other in sessions; it is unique and a treasure within the field.”
“Vibrant conference with excellent content. A must attend for all librarians.”
“This is the only professional conference I attend; all the rest seem irrelevant compared to Charleston.”