2021 Preconference: Hybrid – In Person or Virtual Session
Tuesday, November 2, 9:00 am – 12:00 pm
Description: The past few years have witnessed the emergence of several new initiatives for publishing open access scholarly books. Meanwhile, as new business models for OA books emerge, cOAlition S has announced that it will release guidelines for monographs by the end of this year. Have OA monographs finally come of age? In this pre-conference, we’ll explore the latest in OA book publishing, incorporating the perspectives of both publishers and librarians. Through a keynote presentation, panel discussion, and small group discussion, attendees will learn about key issues and challenges in OA monograph publishing as well as how best to evaluate new OA book models and their potential ROI.
- Mary Beth Barilla, Program Director, Society for Scholarly Publishing
- Lisa Janicke Hinchliffe, Coordinator for Information Literacy Services and Instruction & Professor, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Charles Watkinson, Associate University Librarian, University of Michigan Libraries
- Steve Fallon, Vice President, Americas and Strategic Partnerships, De Gruyter
- Vivian Berhahn, Managing Director, Berghahn Books, Inc.