The Charleston Hub and Against the Grain are seeking a group of 10-12 regular blog post contributors to be published on the Charleston Hub website. We aim to post new content weekly mixed with occasional posts featuring archival content from the Charleston Hub including ATG articles, podcasts, conference recordings, etc.
“Blogging is a fantastic way to engage with the major trends in your profession as they unfold,” said Matthew Ismail, Editor in Chief of the Charleston Briefings. “This is a great opportunity to share your knowledge about the world of scholarly communication and libraries and to gain insights from interaction with others.”
Against the Grain(ISSN: 1043-2094) is your key to the latest news about libraries, publishers, book jobbers, and subscription agents. Blog post content should reflect the general topics covered by the journal, and will be aimed at the same audience of readers. All posts should be vendor-neutral and non-promotional in nature. We invite content from authors across the different stakeholders in the scholarly communications industry, balanced between librarians, publisher/vendors, consultants, and others. We are committed to including contributors from a wide variety of viewpoints, experience levels, genders, geography, race, and cultural backgrounds.
“The goal of the Against the Grain and the Charleston Hub is to provide a place to bring together librarians, vendors and publishers to discuss areas of common interest and to find relevant information. I’m excited to see the conversations generated around these new blog posts, and believe they will give more opportunities to discuss new and growing topics in scholarly communication in a timely manner,” said Leah Hinds, Executive Director.
- Length: Articles should be around 500-1,000 words, but authors can make their articles as long or short as needed to cover their subject. Very lengthy articles will be posted in a series with part 1, part 2, etc.
- Frequency: Authors should commit to providing an average of one post once a month to be a regular contributor, or guest posts are welcome on a case-by-case basis.
- Style: We officially use Turabian – Chicago Style manual format for the journal, but blog post citations can be provided as links within the text rather than footnotes/bibliographic reference. Photos and graphics should be submitted as .jpg or .png files.
- Peer Review and Editing: Articles will be reviewed by a group of 2-3 editors from Against the Grain, and any comments or suggested edits will be sent back in a timely manner. Once a final version is approved, the post will be scheduled for publication.
- Scheduling and Day of Posting: We will communicate with authors on the scheduled date for their article to post. The Charleston Hub has a daily email that will include links to new posts, and they will be promoted via our social media platforms. We encourage you to monitor the post for comments on the day it is posted, and share on your own social media to encourage conversation. We would also encourage regular contributors to read and comment on posts from other authors.
If you are interested in becoming a regular contributor or have an idea for a guest post, please contact us at [email protected]. We look forward to receiving your articles!