Citing the International Federation of Library Associations, infoDOCKET notes that “Controlled Digital Lending has emerged in the last few years as a specific means of enabling libraries to fulfill their missions. It involves libraries lending digital copies of physical works in their collections, using technological safeguards to ensure that no more copies are loaned than the library itself owns.
“As such, Controlled Digital Lending can represent an important tool for libraries. IFLA therefore supports this, underlining its ability to offer libraries the freedom to provide access to their collections, both during the pandemic and beyond…”
ARL News reports that “a number of US federal agencies, particularly the Department of Defense, are moving towards requiring cybersecurity certifications or assessments with potentially significant implications for the higher education research enterprise. The Association of Research Libraries (ARL) released today this Issue Brief: New US Federal Compliance Rules for Sensitive Information that includes details on current rules and activity in information policy and related cybersecurity practices in US research institutions and federal agencies…”
Milestones: Digital Library of Georgia Reaches 2 Million Pages of Historic Georgia Newspaper Digitized Online
According to infoDOCKET “The Digital Library of Georgia has made its 2 millionth digitized and full-text- searchable historic newspaper page available freely online. The title page of the May 27, 1976 issue of the Augusta News-Review will become the 2 millionth page digitized by the Digital Library of Georgia.
MORE LIBRARY AND PUBLISHING NEWS FROM A VARIETY OF SOURCES
- ALA Committee on Education Requests Feedback on Newly Revised ALA Core Competences of Librarianship; Last Revision Was Passed in 2009
- ARL Supports Creation of US Commission on Truth, Racial Healing, and Transformation
- Mikyla Bruder Steps Up at Amazon Publishing
- Worcester State University Library joins HELM and ByWater Solutions’ Koha Support
- NII and Kinokuniya to build a New NACSIS-CAT/ILL System for Digitization of Academic Resources and Provision of World Class Service
- Concordia University Texas (CTX) Library goes live on Koha with ByWater Support
CONFERENCES, MEETINGS & WEBINARS
- Two McGill University Librarians Discuss “Engaging with Artificial Intelligence in Research Libraries” at RLUK Digital Shift Forum Presentation